Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Changed Mind

Fear is something I battle. Yes, I actually battle it. I really need to just STOP IT. Fear gets us no where, and keeps us from life. When I was little, I was not shy or timid in the least sense. I was unashamed and bold, very smiley and trusting. It was normal for my mouth to unleash my thoughts. I expressed myself openly, and expected to be accepted. Now I am actually kinda shy and cautious, which has just come from life experiences, whether taken the right or wrong way, it's there. I have been hiding it behind a confident face and this prideful self-defense. lol, I am a fearful little person.
There comes a time in a person's life when they change. Their circumstances don't even have to change, but they do. the devil knows our weak points and he will skilfully use them against us. My weakness is fear. Though I was enthusiastic and outgoing when I was little, I was still scared out of my mind almost every night that the wolves were gonna come and get me! I would lie there in bed shivering, silently awaiting their attack, knowing in my innermost being that they really weren't there... but the idea still frightened me. My imagination has always gotten the better of me, sometimes for the worse. After almost nineteen years of living, I am just now learning this wonderful action of renewing my mind. Keeping my focus on the Son of God. "Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." 1 Corinthians 10:5

Proverbs 3:25 says, "Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh."
Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Isaiah 26:3, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."

Here is the power of God. He can take a fearful child and instead, create in that child a trust and grow in him a love that casts out fear. "...be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:2) The only kind of fear I should experience - ever - is sudden. Something that takes me by surprise... but even that kind of fear is to be put away. We're not supposed to live in fear. We don't have to. Bringing our thoughts into captivity is required because those thoughts that cause us to stumble are actually loose in our heads. Catching those fearful thoughts, or any other thought, and bringing it bound to the judgement of Christ, asking him what we should do with it, whether he is glorified with that thought or not - that is how a renewed mind takes place.
And it takes two things. Commitment & Diligence.
I'm learning to live fearless. It stirred my heart, and started with my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment